Nelson’s Battalion of the Artillery Reserve of Ewell’s Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: Benner’s Hill, north of the Hanover Road.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
EWELL’S CORPS ARTILLERY RESERVE
Kirkpatrick’s Massie’s and Milledge’s Batteries
One 10 Pounder Parrott Four 3 Inch Rifles Six Napoleons
July 1 The Battalion arrived on the field too late to participate in the engagement of the day. Was ordered to report to the Chief of Artillery Rodes’ Division.
July 2. Took position on Seminary Ridge 1/4 mile north of Chambersburg Pike. About 11 A. M. moved to the rear of Pennsylvania College and remained until night when the Battalion returned to the position of the morning.
July 3. Ordered to the extreme left of the Confederate line to find a position to withdraw the fire from the Confederate infantry. Opened about 12 M. firing 20 to 25 rounds. At midnight moved with Johnson’s Division to Seminary Ridge.
July 4. Was ordered to take position on the ridge west of town. At night took up the line of march to Hagerstown.
Ammunition expended 48 rounds. Casualties not reported.