Mahone’s Brigade of R.H. Anderson’s Division of A.P. Hill’s Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: West side of West Confederate Avenue, North of Spangler Woods.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
HILL’S CORPS ANDERSON’S DIVISION
6th 12th 16th 41st 61st Virginia Infantry
July 2. Arrived and took position here in the forenoon under orders to support the artillery. A strong skirmish line was sent out which was constantly engaged and did effective service.
July 3. Remained here in support of the artillery. Took no active part in the battle except by skirmishers.
July 4. In line here all day. At dark began the march to Hagerstown.
Present 1500 Killed 8 Wounded 55 Missing 39 Total 102