Lane’s Brigade of Pender’s Division of A.P. Hill’s Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Location: West side of West Confederate Avenue at McMillan Woods.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
HILL’S CORPS PENDER’S DIVISION
7th 18th 28th 33rd 37th North Carolina Infantry
July 1. Crossed Willoughby Run about 3.30 P. M. and advanced on the right of the Division in the final and successful movement against the Union forces on Seminary Ridge held back Union Cavalry which threatened the flank and had a sharp conflict at the stone wall on Seminary Ridge just south of Fairfield Road.
July 2. Lay with its right in McMillan’s Woods with skirmish line advanced.
July 3. In Longstreet’s assault the Brigade supported the centre of Pettigrew’s Division advancing in good order under the storm of shot and shell and when near the Union works north of the Angle pushed forward to aid the fragments of the front line in the final struggle and was among the last to retire.
July 4. After night withdrew and began the march to Hagerstown.
Present 1355 Killed 41 Wounded 348 Missing 271 Total 660