Lane’s Battalion of R.H. Anderson’s Division of A.P. Hill’s Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: East side of West Confederate Avenue, South of McMillan Woods.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
HILL’S CORPS ANDERSON’S DIVISION
Patterson’s Wingfield’s Ross’ Batteries
Three Napoleons Two 20 Pounder Parrotts Three 10 Pounder Parrotts
Four 3 Inch Navy Parrotts Five 12 Pounder Howitzers
July 23. Took part in the battle.
July 4. Remained in position near here and about sunset began the march to Hagerstown.
Losses Killed 3 Wounded 21 Missing 6 Total 30
Ammunition expended 1082 rounds. Horses killed or disabled 36.