Garnett’s Battalion of Heth’s Division of A.P. Hill’s Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Location: East side of West Confederate Avenue, North of McMillan House, at Spangler woods.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
HILL’S CORPS HETH’S DIVISION
Granby’s Moore’s Lewis’ and Maurin’s Batteries
Four Napoleons Two 10 Pounder Parrotts
Seven 3 Inch Rifles Two 12 Pounder Howitzers
July 1 2 3 4. The Parrotts and Rifles took part in the battle in a different position on each of the three days their most active service being on the second day in this position. The Napoleons and Howitzers were in reserve and not actively engaged at any time. All withdrew from the field on the fourth day but not at the same hour nor by the same route.
Losses Wounded 5 Missing 17 Total 22
Ammunition expended 1000 rounds. Horses killed or disabled 13.