Davis’ Brigade of Heth’s Division of A.P. Hill’s Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by two monuments.
Location: West Confederate Avenue, south of McMillan Woods. Located on West side of West Confederate Avenue, South of McMillan Woods.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
HILL’S CORPS HETH’S DIVISION
55th North Carolina 2nd 11th 42nd Mississippi Infantry
July 1. Formed line west of Herr’s Tavern and crossing the Run at 10 A. M. dislodged 2nd Maine Battery and the 2nd Brigade 1st Division First Corps. Threatened on the right it wheeled and occupied railroad cut too deep and steep for defense whereby it lost many prisoners and a stand of colors. Joined later by the 11th Regiment previously on duty guarding trains the Brigade fought until the day’s contest ended.
July 2. Lay all day west of the Run. At evening took position near here.
July 3. In Longstreet’s assault the Brigade formed the left center of Pettigrew’s Division and advanced to the stone wall south of Bryan Barn where with regiments shrunken to companies and field officers all disabled further effort was useless.
July 4. After night withdrew and began the march to Hagerstown.
Present on the first day about 2000 Killed 180 Wounded 717 Missing about 500 Total 1397