Brockenbrough’s Brigade Monument

Brockenbrough’s Brigade of Heth’s Division of A.P. Hill’s Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.

Brockenbrough's Brigade Gettysburg December 2009

Location: West side of West Confederate Avenue, near McMillan Woods.

Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments.  Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.

Inscription:

C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
HILL’S CORPS HETH’S DIVISION
BROCKENBROUGH’S BRIGADE
40th 47th 55th Regiments and 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry

July 1. Crossed the Run at 2 P. M. between Chambersburg Pike and Reynolds Woods. Engaged Union forces on McPherson ridge and with other troops on left drove them back to next ridge capturing two flags and many prisoners with some sharpshooters in the barn. Soon afterwards the Brigade was relieved by Pender’s Division.

July 2. Lay in the woods west of the Run. In the evening took position near here.

July 3. In Longstreet’s assault this Brigade was on the left flank of the column and as it approached the Union position was exposed to a severe fire of musketry on the left flank and artillery and musketry in front. It pushed beyond the Emmitsburg Road but was met by a heavy front and flank fire from the Union lines north of the Bryan Barn and compelled to fall back.

July 4. After night withdrew and began the march to Hagerstown.

Present on the first day about 2000 Killed 180 Wounded 717 Missing about 500 Total 1397

Advertisements