Steuart’s Brigade of Johnson’s Division of Ewell’s Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: Located on East side of East Confederate Avenue, in woods at base of Culp’s Hill.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
EWELL’S CORPS JOHNSON’S DIVISION
1st Maryland Battalion 1st and 3rd North Carolina 1Oth 23rd and 37th
July 1. Arrived about nightfall and took position near Hanover Road about a mile east of Rock Creek with left wing at edge of woods.
July 2. Crossing Rock Creek at 6 P. M. the 3D N. C. and 1st Md. attacked the lesser summit of Culp’s Hill. Reinforced later by the other regiments the Union breastworks thinly manned at some points were occupied to the southern base of the main summit but only after a vigorous and desperate conflict.
July 3. The Union troops reinforced the conflict at dawn and it raged fiercely until 11 A. M. when this Brigade and the entire line fell back to the base of the hill and from thence moved about midnight to Seminary Ridge northwest of the town.
July 4. Occupied Seminary Ridge. About 10 P. M. began the march to Hagerstown.
Present about 1700 Killed 83 Wounded 409 Missing 190 Total 682