O’Neal’s Brigade of Rodes’ Division of Ewell’s Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by two monuments.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: West side of North Confederate Avenue, southeast of the Peace Light Monument.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
EWELL’S CORPS RODES’ DIVISION
3rd 5th 6th 12th 26th Alabama Infantry
July 1. Soon after arriving at this position three regiments attacked the Union flank, the 5th Regiment being ordered to guard the wide interval between the Brigade and Doles’s Brigade in the valley on the left and the 3rd Regiment joining Daniel’s and afterwards Ramseur’s Brigade. The three regiments were repulsed with heavy loss but the entire Brigade took part in the general attack soon made by the Confederates which finally dislodged the Union forces from Seminary Ridge.
July 2. The Brigade in position all day in or near the town but not engaged.
July 3. The 5th Regiment lay in the southern borders of the town firing upon the Union artillery with their long range rifles. The other regiments moved to Culp’s Hill to reinforce Johnson’s Division.
July 4. Moved to Seminary Ridge. At night began the march to Hagerstown.
Present 1794 Killed 73 Wounded 430 Missing 193 Total 696