Latimer’s Battalion of Johnson’s Division of Ewell’s Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: Located on Benner’s Hill, south of Hanover Road.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
EWELL’S CORPS JOHNSON’S DIVISION
Brown’s Carpenter’s Dement’s Raine’s Batteries
Two 20 Pounder Parrotts Five 10 Pounder Parrotts
Three 3 Inch Rifles Six Napoleons
July 1. After dark crossed Rock Creek and encamped on this ridge.
July 2. At 4 P. M. the Battalion except the 20 pounder Parrotts took position here and was engaged more than two hours in a heavy cannonade with the Union artillery on Cemetery Hill Steven’s Knoll and Culp’s Hill. Ammunition exhausted and losses severe the guns were withdrawn except four to cover the advance of Johnson’s infantry against Culp’s Hill. In the renewed firing Major S. W. Latimer was mortally wounded. In the cannonading the 20 pounder Parrotts in position half a mile north took an active part.
July 3. The 20 pounder Parrotts took part in the great cannonade while the other batteries were in reserve.
July 4. The Battalion withdrew and began the march to Hagerstown.
Losses Killed 10 Wounded 40 Horses killed 30.