Kemper’s Brigade of Pickett’s Division of Longstreet’s First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: West side of West Confederate Avenue, at Spangler Woods, south of Virginia State Memorial.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
LONGSTREET’S CORPS PICKETT’S DIVISION
1st 3rd 7th 11th 24th Virginia Infantry
July 2. Arrived about sunset and bivouacked on the western border of Spangler’s Woods.
July 3. In the forenoon formed line in the field east of the woods with right flank near Spangler’s Barn. At the close of the cannonade advanced and took part in Longstreet’s assault upon the Union position in the vicinity of the Angle. Exposed to a severe fire of artillery and vigorously assailed beyond the Emmitsburg Road by infantry on the right flank with ranks thinned and much disorganized by its losses especially of officers it pressed on against the Union line at the stone wall where after a fierce encounter the struggle ended. Gen. J. L. Kemper fell wounded in front of the stone wall.
July 4. Spent the day in reorganization and during the night began the march to Hagerstown.
Present 1575 Killed 56 Wounded 356 Missing 317 Total 731