Jones’ Battalion of Early’s Division of Ewell’s Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: Located northeast corner Jones’ Battalion Lane and Business U.S. Route 15 (Old Harrisburg Road).
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
EWELL’S CORPS EARLY’S DIVISION
JONES’ ARTILLERY BATTALION
Carrington’s Tanner’s Green’s Garber’s Batteries
Two 10 Pounder Parrotts Six 3 Inch Eight Napoleons
July 1. Arrived on the field with Early’s Division about 2.45 P. M. Moved into battery 400 yards east of this position opened an effective enfilading fire on infantry retiring from Seminary Ridge. Ceased firing as the Confederate infantry advanced.
July 2. The Battalion remained in the same position. Not actively engaged.
July 3. Occupied same position. Not actively engaged.