Eshleman’s Battalion of Longstreet’s First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: East side of West Confederate Avenue, North of Millerstown Road at Pitzer Woods.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
LONGSTREET’S CORPS ARTILLERY RESERVE
THE WASHINGTON LOUISIANA ARTILLERY
Miller’s Squires’ Richardson’s Norcom’s Batteries
Eight Napoleons Two 12 Pounder Howitzers
July 3. Arrived on the field before daylight and was engaged all day. Captured one 3 inch rifle.
July 4. At 9 A. M. ordered to Cashtown to reinforce the cavalry escorting the wagon train.
Losses Killed 3 Wounded 26 Missing 16 Total 45
Horses killed and disabled 37 Guns disabled 3