Doles’ Brigade of Rodes’ Division of Ewell’s Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: Located north side of West Howard Avenue, near Carlisle Road.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
EWELL’S CORPS RODES’ DIVISION
4th 12th 21st 44th Georgia Infantry
July 1. About 1 P. M. the Brigade formed line in the fields east of Oak Hill and skirmished with Union 2nd Brigade First Cavalry Division and aided Gordon’s Brigade in dislodging the Union forces from Barlow Knoll and their line from thence to the Heidlersburg Road. Then joined Ramseur and others in their attack upon the rear of First Corps which after a long struggle was compelled to retire from Seminary Ridge. The Brigade took many prisoners from the First and Eleventh Corps which it pursued to the southern borders of the town.
July 2. Lay all day in the town on West Middle Street. After dark moved out to aid in a contemplated attack on Cemetery Hill.
July 3. In line with other brigades in the sunken road southwest of town.
July 4. On Seminary Ridge all day. At night began the march to Hagerstown.
Present 1369 Killed 86 Wounded 124 Missing 31 Total 241