Daniels’ Brigade of Rodes’ Division of Ewell’s Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by two monuments.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: North side of North Confederate Avenue, near Peace Memorial.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
EWELL’S CORPS RODES’ DIVISION
32nd 43rd 45th 53rd Regiments and 2nd Battalion North Carolina
July 1. The Brigade formed the right of Division and its line extended from Forney Field to the railroad near the McPherson Barn. The regiments did not at first move together nor attack the same troops. The 43rd and 53rd Regiments aided by O’Neal’s 3rd Alabama and Iverson’s 12th North Carolina attacked the Union line in the Sheads and Forney Field. The 45th Regiment and 2nd Battalion fought the 2nd Brigade 3rd Division First Corps near the railroad cuts and being joined by the 32nd Regiment and other troops compelled retreat. The regiments fought under a heavy artillery fire. The Brigade was reunited and lost heavily in the struggle which dislodged the Union forces from Seminary Ridge.
July 2. On Seminary Ridge all day. After night moved into town.
July 3. Marched before daylight to Culp’s Hill to aid Johnson’s Division.
July 4. Occupied Seminary Ridge. At night began the march to Hagerstown.
Present 2100 Killed 165 Wounded 635 Missing 116 Total 916