Armistead’s Brigade of Pickett’s Division of Longstreet’s First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: West side of West Confederate Avenue, at Spangler Woods, south of Virginia State Memorial.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
LONGSTREET’S CORPS PICKETT’S DIVISION
9th 14th 38th 53rd 57th Virginia Infantry
July 2. Arrived about sunset and bivouacked on the western border of Spangler’s Woods.
July 3. In the forenoon formed line behind Kemper and Garnett east of the woods. When the cannonade ceased advanced to support Kemper’s and Garnett’s Brigades forming the right of Longstreet’s Corps. Its losses being less at first than those of the other brigades it passed the Emmitsburg Road in compact ranks and as the front line was going to pieces near the stone wall pushed forward and many of its men and some from other commands responding to the call and following Gen. L. A. Armistead sprang over the wall into the Angle and continued the desperate struggle until he fell mortally wounded beyond the stone wall.
July 4. Spent the day in reorganization and during the night began the march to Hagerstown.
Present 1650 Killed 88 Wounded 460 Missing 643 Total 1191