Wofford’s Brigade of McLaws’ Division of Longstreet’s First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument and an advanced position tablet.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: West Confederate Avenue at Pitzer’s Woods, west side.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
LONGSTREET’S CORPS McLAWS’ DIVISION
16th 18th 24th Regiments Cobb’s and Phillips’ Legions Georgia Infantry
July 2. Arrived at 4 P. M. and formed line 100 yards west of this. Ordered to the front about 6 P. M. and advanced soon afterward along Wheatfield Road flanked the Union forces assailing the Loop and aided the Confederates thereby relieved in forcing them back through the Wheatfield to the foot of Little Round Top. Assailed there by a strong body of fresh troops and receiving at the same moment an order to withdraw the Brigade fell back at sunset to the grove west of the Wheatfield.
July 3. One regiment was left on outpost duty in that grove. The others supported artillery on Peach Orchard Ridge. All withdrew late in the afternoon.
July 4. In line here all day. At midnight began march to Hagerstown.
Present about 1350 Killed 36 Wounded 207 Missing 112 Total 355