Semmes’ Brigade Monument

Semmes’ Brigade of McLaws’ Division of Longstreet’s First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument and an advanced position tablet.

Monument to Semmes Brigade. Gettysburg June 2012

Dedicated: December 19, 1910.

Location: Located on West side of West Confederate Avenue, South of Wheatfield Road.

Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments.  Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.

Inscription:

C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
LONGSTREET’S CORPS McLAWS’ DIVISION
SEMMES’ BRIGADE
10th 50th 51st 53rd Georgia Infantry

July 2. Arrived about 3.30 P. M. and formed line 50 yards west of this. Advanced about 5 P. M. in support of Kershaw and Anderson and took a prominent part in the severe and protracted conflict on Rose Hill and in the ravine and forest east of there and in the vicinity of the Loop. Participated also in the general advance late in the evening by which the Union forces were forced out of the Wheatfield and across Plum Run Valley. Brig Gen. Paul J. Semmes fell mortally wounded in the ravine near the Loop.

July 3. During the afternoon Anderson’s Brigade being withdrawn for duty elsewhere the Brigade was left in the occupancy of the woodland south of the Wheatfield. At 1 P. M. under orders it resumed its original position near here.

July 4. About midnight began the march to Hagerstown Md.

Present about 1200 Losses 430

Advertisements