Henry’s Battalion of Hood’s Division of Longstreet’s First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: Located on East side of South Confederate Avenue, South of Emmitsburg Road.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
LONGSTREET’S CORPS HOOD’S DIVISION
Reilly’s Bachman’s Garden’s Latham’s Batteries
Eleven Napoleons Four 10 Pounder Parrotts Two 3 Inch Rifles
One 12 Pounder Howitzer One 6 Pounder Bronze Gun
July 2-3. Occupied this line and took active part in the battle as described on the tablets of the several batteries. The Howitzer the Bronze gun and one 3 inch Rifle were disabled and three captured 10 pounder Parrotts substituted. July 4. On a line a little west of this until 6 P. M. then withdrew from the field. Ammunition expended 1500 rounds.
Losses Killed 4 Wounded 23