Cabell’s Battalion of McLaws’ Division of Longstreet’s First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: East side of West Confederate Avenue, South of Millerstown Road.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
LONGSTREET’S CORPS McLAWS’ DIVISION
Fraser’s McCarthy’s Carlton’s Manly’s Batteries
FourNapoleons Four 10 Pounder Parrotts Six 3 lnch Rifles
Two 12 Pounder Howitzers
July 2-3. Took an active part in the battle.
July 4. Remained in position near here and withdrew from the field after night.
Ammunition expended About 3300 rounds.
Losses Killed 12 Wounded 30 Missing 4 Horses killed or disabled 80.