Benning’s Brigade of Hood’s Division of Longstreet’s First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument and an advanced position tablet.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: Located on West side of South Confederate Avenue, South of Emmitsburg Road and Bushman Lane.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
LONGSTREET’S CORPS HOOD’S DIVISION
2nd 15th 17th 20th Georgia Infantry
July 2. Arrived and formed line about 4 P. M. in rear of Law’s and Robertson’s Brigades and moving forward in support of these took prominent part in the severe conflict which resulted in the capture of Devil’s Den together with a number of prisoners and three guns of the 4th New York Battery
July 3. Held Devil’s Den and the adjacent crest of rocky ridge until late in the evening when under orders the Brigade retired to position near here. Through mistake of orders the 15th Georgia did not retire directly but moved northward encountered a superior Union force and suffered considerable loss.
July 4. Occupied breastworks near here facing southward until midnight.
July 5. About 5 A. M. began the march to Hagerstown Md.
Present about 1500 Losses 509