Anderson’s Brigade of Hood’s Division of Longstreet’s First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument and an advanced position tablet.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: Located on West side of West Confederate Avenue, North of Emmitsburg Road near Snyder House.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
LONGSTREET’S CORPS HOOD’S DIVISION
7th 8th 9th 11th 59th Georgia Infantry
July 2. After march of several miles formed line about 4 P. M. 100 yards west of this. The Seventh regiment was sent southward to watch Union Cavalry The others charged into the woods south of Wheatfield and dislodged the Union line from stone fence there but flanked on the left retired to crest of Rose Hill. Reinforced later by parts of other brigades they again advanced. The wounding of Gen. G. T. Anderson caused a brief halt and some confusion but they advanced a third time and after a struggle occupied the woodland to its border on Plum Run Valley.
July 3. The Brigade was sent down Emmitsburg Road and assisted in repulsing and holding in check Union Cavalry which sought to flank the Division.
July 4. Assisted in constructing works to protect the flank.
July 5. About 5 A. M. began the march to Hagerstown Md.
Present about 1800 Losses 671