The Monument to Rodes’ Division, Ewell’s Second Corps.
Location: North of North Confederate Avenue, next to Peace Light Memorial. Marks the command position of Rodes’ Division during Battle of Gettysburg, July 1-3, 1863.
Description: One of ten Confederate division monuments that describe the movements and itenirary of each division of the Army of Northern Virginia. The locations of the markers indicate the general location of the battle lines of the various Confederate divisions during the battle.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
SECOND ARMY CORPS
Maj. Gen. R. E. Rodes
Daniel’s Brigade Brig. Gen. Junius Daniel
Doles’s Brigade Brig. Gen. George Doles
Iverson’s Brigade Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson
Ramseur’s Brigade Brig. Gen. S. D. Ramseur
O’Neal’s Brigade Col. E. A. O’Neal
Four Batteries Lieut. Col. Thomas H. Carter
July 1. Rodes’s Division advancing by the Newville Road occupied Oak Ridge about noon. The line formed and advanced in the following order. Dole’s Brigade deployed in the valley north of town and left of Division and was opposed by troops of the Eleventh Corps. O’Neal’s and Iverson’s Brigades advanced on ridge and meeting a portion of First Union Corps were driven back with heavy loss. Daniel’s Brigade was ordered to the support of Iverson but became separated by a change of direction moved to the railroad on the right where Heth’s Division was engaged. Ramseur held in reserve. After a severe conflict the Union troops retired.
July 2. The Division occupied ground near and west of town and was not engaged.
July 3. The Brigades of Daniel and O’Neal were ordered to report to Gen. E. Johnson on the left early in the morning and joined in the attack on Culp’s Hill. The remainder of the Division held the position of day before and at night retired to Seminary Ridge.
July 4. The Division took up the line of march during the night.
Casualties Killed 421 Wounded 1728 Missing 704 Total 2853