Cavalry Division, Army of Northern Virginia Monument

The Monument to the Cavalry Division of the Army of Northern Virginia.

Monument to Stuart's Cavalry Division, East Cavalry Battlefield.  Stuart's Division Gettysburg December 2010

Dedicated: 1907.

Location: Located Confederate Cavalry Avenue at Rummel Woods in East Cavalry Field.

Description: One of ten Confederate division monuments that describe the movements and itenirary of each division of the Army of Northern Virginia. The locations of the markers indicate the general location of the battle lines of the various Confederate divisions during the battle.

Inscription:

ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
CAVALRY DIVISION
STUART’S DIVISION MAJOR GENERAL J. E. B. STUART

Hampton’s Brigade Brig. Gen. Wade Hampton
Col. L. S. Baker
Robertson’s Brigade Brig. Gen. Beverly H. Robertson
Fitz Lee’s Brigade Brig. Gen. Fitzhugh Lee
Jenkins’ Brigade Brig. Gen. A. G. Jenkins
Col. M. J. Ferguson
Jones’ Brigade Brig. Gen. William E. Jones
W. H. F. Lee’s Brigade Col. J. R. Chambliss Jr.
Stuart’s Horse Artillery
Six Batteries Major R. F. Beckham

Robertson’s and Jones’ Brigades with 3 batteries detached operating on right flank of the Army.

July 1. The Division on the march from Dover to Carlisle received information that the Confederate Army was concentrating at Gettysburg.

July 2. The advance near Gettysburg late in the afternoon engaged with Custer’s Cavalry Brigade at Hunterstown on the left and rear of Early’s Division.

July 3. Pursuant to order the Cavalry Division of four Brigades took position on the left in advance of Early on a ridge which controlled the open ground toward Hanover. Gregg’s Union Cavalry was massed in full view. The sharpshooters were advanced and soon engaged. The battle continued until near night being hotly contested. At night the Division withdrew to the York Road.

July 4. The Division was posted on the flanks and rear of the Army.

Casualties Killed 36 Wounded 140 Missing 64 Total 240

Advertisements