The Monument to Anderson’s Division, Hill’s Third Corps.
Location: Located on West side of West Confederate Avenue, North of Berdan Avenue and north of Pitzer Woods.
Description: One of ten Confederate division monuments that describe the movements and itinerary of each division of the Army of Northern Virginia. The locations of the markers indicate the general location of the battle lines of the various Confederate divisions during the battle.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
THIRD ARMY CORPS
Major Gen. R. H. Anderson
Wilcox’s Brigade Brig. Gen. Cadmus M. Wilcox
Mahone’s Brigade Brig. Gen. William Mahone
Wright’s Brigade Gen. A. R. Wright
Col. William Gibson
Perry’s Brigade Col. David Lang
Posey’s Brigade Brig. Gen. Carnot Posey
Three Batteries Major John Lane
July 1. Anderson’s Division on the march to Gettysburg was directed about dark to occupy the position vacated by Heth’s Division and to send a brigade and battery a mile or more to the right.
July 2. In the morning a new line of battle formed extending further to the right. About noon Longstreet’s Corps placed on the right nearly at right angles to the line directed to assault the Union left the Division to advance as the attack progressed to keep in touch with Longstreet’s left. The Union troops were forced from the first line and a portion of the ridge beyond. Union reinforcements pressing on the right flank which had become disconnected from McLaws’ left made the position gained untenable. The brigades withdrew to their position in line.
July 3. The Division remained in position until 3.30 P. M. Orders were given to support Lieut. Gen. Longstreet’s attack on the Union centre Wilcox and Perry moved forward. The assault failed the order to advance was countermanded.
July 4. The Division after dark took up the line of march.
Casualties Killed 147 Wounded 1128 Missing 840 Total 2115