3rd Division, 5th Corps, Army of the Potomac Monument

The monument to the 3rd Division of the 5th Corps, Army of the Potomac.

Monument to Crawford's Division. Gettysburg December 2011

Dedicated: 1910.

Location: East side of Crawford Avenue, South of the Wheatfield Road.

Description: One of 22 Union division monuments that describe the movements and itinerary of each division of the Army of the Potomac. Designed by E. B. Cope and erected by the U.S. War Department. Concrete foundation, Winnsboro (South Carolina) granite monument, bronze inscription tablet. Seven foot tall monolith.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIFTH CORPS
THIRD DIVISION
Brig. General Samuel W. Crawford

First Brigade William McCandless
Third Brigade Col. Joseph W. Fisher

July 2. Moved to Little Round Top late in the day and went into position on the right of the Wheatfield Road. On the retreat of the troops from the Wheatfield in front after sunset the First Brigade was advanced against the pursuing forces and drove them across Plum Run marsh and beyond the stone wall and into the Wheatfield. The Third Brigade was sent to the left to take possession of Round Top.

July 3. The First Brigade remained in position until about 5 P. M. and then advanced across the Wheatfield and through the woods beyond and on the left capturing many prisoners. The Confederates retired to the crest of the ridge they originally formed on. These positions were held until the close of the battle.

Casualties Killed 3 Officers 23 Men Wounded 17 Officers 164 Men Captured or Missing 3 Men Total 210

Advertisements