2nd Division, 6th Corps, Army of the Potomac Monument

The monument to the 2nd Division of the 6th Corps, Army of the Potomac.

Monument to Howe's Division. original (23140) Gettysburg June 2011

Dedicated: 1905.

Location: Located at the intersection of Taneytown Road and Howe Avenue.

Description: Different from all of the other United States division markers in Park, it was privately funded by Howe’s family and erected before the Commission put up other 23 tablets. Marks the headquarters of Brig. Gen. Albion P. Howe, commanding the Second division, Sixth Corps.

Inscription:

Army of the Potomac
Sixth Corps
Second Division
Headquarters
Brig. General Albion P. Howe
Commanding
2nd Brigade Col. Lewis A. Grant
3rd Brigade Brig. General Thomas H. Neill

July 2
The division left Manchester MD at 1 a.m. and reached Gettysburg at 5 p.m. marching 33 miles
2nd Brigade was moved to the left center and finally to the extreme left
3rd Brigade was placed in position on Power’s Hill
July 3
2nd Brigade remained on the extreme left of the line
3rd Brigade moved to the extreme right to connect with the Union cavalry
The brigades remained in these positions until the close of the battle

Advertisements