The monument to the 2nd Division of the 5th Corps, Army of the Potomac.
Location: Located at North end of Houck’s Ridge on West side of Crawford Avenue, South of the Wheatfield Road.
Description: One of 22 Union division monuments that describe the movements and itinerary of each division of the Army of the Potomac. Designed by E. B. Cope and erected by the U.S. War Department. Concrete foundation, Winnsboro (South Carolina) granite monument, bronze inscription tablet. Seven foot tall monolith.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Brig. General Romeyn B. Ayres
First Brigade Col. Hannibal Day
Second Brigade Col. Sidney Burbank
Third Brigade Brig. Gen. S. H. Weed
Col. Kenner Garrard
July 2. Moved from the Baltimore Pike near Rock Creek about 3 P. M. left in front to the support of the Third Corps line preceded by the First Division. The Third Brigade halted at Little Round Top and occupied the summit and north slope just in time to repel an attack on the right of the Third Brigade First Division. Here Gen. Weed fell mortally wounded. The First and Second Brigades crossed Plum Run to the hill beyond and formed in two lines. The First Brigade in rear fronting the Wheatfield through which the First Division Second Corps was advancing at right angle. About sunset the troops in front and on the right retired before a fierce assault on the front and flank and these two Brigades were compelled to retire with heavy losses to Little Round top pursued by Wofford’s Georgia Brigade and portions of Semmes’ Kershaw’s and Anderson’s Brigades. Later the First and Second Brigades took position in the woods in rear of the Third Brigade.
July 3. Remained in same position.
July 4. The First Brigade made a successful reconnaissance.
Casualties Killed 10 Officers 154 Men Wounded 56 Officers 746 Men Captured or Missing 63 Men Total 1029