2nd Division, 12th Corps, Army of the Potomac Monument

The monument to the 2nd Division of the 12th Corps, Army of the Potomac.

geary's division Gettysburg February 2009

Dedicated: 1910.

Location: Located west side of South Slocum Avenue, near Geary and Williams Avenues.

Description: One of 22 Union division monuments that describe the movements and itinerary of each division of the Army of the Potomac. Designed by E. B. Cope and erected by the U.S. War Department. Concrete foundation, Winnsboro (South Carolina) granite monument, bronze inscription tablet. Seven foot tall monolith.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
TWELFTH CORPS
SECOND DIVISION
Brig. General John W. Geary

First Brigade Col. Charles Candy
Second Brigade Col. Geo. A. Cobham Jr.
Brig. Thos. L. Kane
Third Brigade Brig. Gen. Geo. S. Greene

July 1. Arrived on the Baltimore Pike and went into position about 5 P. M. the First and Third Brigades on the line from Cemetery Ridge to Little Round Top Second Brigade on the left of Baltimore Pike.

July 2. In the morning the First and Third Brigades took position on the right of First Corps on Culp’s Hill connecting with First Division on the right Breastworks were thrown up along the entire front. At 7 P. M. the First and Third Brigades on the Baltimore Pike moved off intending to support Third Corps. Brig. Gen. Greene extended the Third Brigade over the line of the Second Brigade refusing his right. Being reinforced by about 750 men from the left he held his position against the attacks of Johnson’s Confederate Division.

July 3. At 3 A. M. an attack by infantry and artillery was made on Johnson’s Division and after a contest of seven hours the Confederate forces were driven from their position losing heavily in killed wounded and prisoners also three battleflags and over 5,000 small arms.

Casualties Killed 12 Officers 96 Men Wounded 16 Officers 381 Men Captured or Missing 1 Officer 34 Men Total 540

Advertisements