The Monument to the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac.
Dedicated: December 1906.
Location: Located on east side of Sedgwick Avenue, north of center.
Description: A rectangular granite monument, with a large bronze tablets thereon, describing the engagements and movements of each army corps. Greek Cross Corps Badge incorporated in center of tablet top.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Major General John Sedgwick
First Division Brigadier General Horatio G. Wright
Second Division Brigadier General Albion R Howe
Third Division Major General John Newton
Brigadier General Frank Wheaton
Artillery Brigade Colonel Charles H. Tompkins
The Corps being in reserve its operations were mostly by Brigades independent of each other and of different portions of the field.
July 2. Arrived in the afternoon after a march of over 30 miles. Nevin’s Brigade Wheaton’s Division Bartlett’s Brigade Wright’s Division went into action about sunset on the left centre between the divisions of 5th Corps and assisted in repulsing the Confederate assault. Russell’s and Torbert’s Brigades Wright’s Division was sent to the extreme left of the line east of Round Top. Shaler’s Brigade Wheaton’s Division was held in reserve near the left centre.
July 3. The brigades of the Corps were put into position where needed at different points on the line from right to left until the close of the battle.
Casualties Killed 2 Officers 25 Men Wounded 14 Officers 171 Men Captured or Missing 30 Men Total 242 Men