The Monument to the Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac.
Dedicated: December 1906.
Location: Located on East side of Sykes Ave, north slope of Little Round Top.
Description: A rectangular granite monument, with a large bronze tablets thereon, describing the engagements and movements of each army corps. Maltese Cross Corps Badge incorporated in center of tablet top.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Major General George Sykes
First Division Brigadier General James Barnes
Second Division Brigadier General Romeyn B. Ayres
Third Division Brigadier General Samuel W. Crawford
Artillery Brigade Captain Augustus P. Martin
July 2. Arrived in the morning and went into position on the right of 12th Corps. Later crossed Rock Creek via Baltimore Pike and was massed in the field until late in the afternoon. Moved to the left between 4 and 5 P. M. Barnes’ and Ayres’ Divisions taking possession of Little Round Top and reinforcing the 3D Corps line Crawford’s Division in reserve. All Brigades of the Corps except Fisher’s were engaged at intervals until night.
July 3. Barnes’ Division except Tilton’s Brigade north of Little Round Top with Wright’s Division 6th Corps on the right, left and rear. Ayres’ and Crawford’s Divisions and Tilton’s Brigade on the Round Tops. These positions were held during the day.
July 4. In same positions except reconnaissances from each Division were made in front during the day.
Casualties Killed 28 Officers 337 Men Wounded 129 Officers 1481 Men Captured or Missing 1 Officer 210 Men Total 2186