The Army of the Potomac Monument.
Dedicated: June 1, 1908.
Location: East side Hancock Avenue opposite the Angle.
Description: One of two large granite markers that were set up with bronze tablets giving the organization of the Army of the Potomac and the Army of Northern Virginia. Shields in bronze will be mounted on the faces of the markers above the tablets. Monolithic monument (4’7″x2’2″x8’9″H) with smooth cut granite face & sides, rough cut back & top. Curvilinear cap. Bronze inscribed tablet on front w/ bronze U.S.A shield above. Stone designed by E.B. Cope, Architect. Civil War Marker that commemorates Army of the Potomac at the Battle of Gettysburg 1863, near the center of that army’s battle line.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Major General George G. Meade
The Army consisted of Eight Corps
First Corps Major General John F Reynolds
Major General Abner Doubleday
Major General John Newton
Second Corps Major Winfield S. Hancock
Brigadier General John Gibbon
Third Corps Major Daniel E. Sickles
Major General David B. Birney
Fifth Corps Major General George Sykes
Sixth Corps Major General John Sedgwick
Eleventh Corps Major General Oliver C. Howard
Major General Henry W. Slocum
Twelfth Corps Brigadier General Alpheus S. Williams
Cavalry Corps Major General Alfred Pleasonton
Reserve Artillery Brigadier General Robert O. Tyler
July 1. The First and Eleventh Corps arrived, and were engaged north, and, west of Gettysburg,and fell back to Cemetery Hill in rear ofthe town. The Twelfth Corps and a large part of the Third Corps arrived at the close of the day.
July 2 . The remainder of the Third Corp and the Fifth and Second Corps arrived in the morning. The Sixth Corps late afternoon. The Third Corps having advanced was attacked by Longstreet’s Confederate Corps and Anderson’s Division of Hill’s Corps. The Fifth Corps, and the First Division of the Second Corps going to the support of the Third Corps an engagement ensued until nightfall when the Union forces had been driven back from their advanced position and the Confederates repulsed.
July 3. The Twelfth Corps having by order vacated a large part of its line on Culps Hill, on the night of the 2D and Johnson’s Division of Ewell’s Corps having occupied the works. The Twelfth Corps in the morning attacked and regained the lines it had previously vacated. Hill’s Corps and Pickett’s Division of Longstreets Corps in the afternoon attacked the line of the Second Corps and were repulsed with great Loss. Stuart’s Confederate Cavalry in the afternoon attacked the Second Cavalry Division and the Second Brigade Third Cavalry Division and was repulsed.