The headquarters marker for Major General John Newton, commander of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac.
Dedicated: June 1913.
Location: Denotes the location of General John Newton’s headquarters on July 2 and 3, 1863. Located south side Pleasonton Avenue, near Park’s Roller and Storage Building.
Description: One of ten Civil War US Headquarter Markers in the Park. Consists of cast iron cannon tube, 4.5-inch rifled siege gun, mounted on a granite base. Erected by the Gettysburg National Parks Commission. Designed by Emmor B. Cope of the War Department. Rough-hewn, coursed, 3 part base, 3’2″sq, 2’7″H. Cannon tube mounted upright on base. Overall 10’6″H. Bronze inscription tablet on east side facing park avenue and public road.
Army of the Potomac
1st. Corps Headquarters
July 2. 3. 4. 1863