Headquarters of Major General Henry W. Slocum

The headquarters marker for Major General Henry W. Slocum, commander of the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac.

Slocum's headquarters Gettysburg September 2009

Dedicated: June 1913.

Location: Denotes the location of the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac headquarters. Located on Baltimore Pike, below Power’s Hill.

Description: One of ten Civil War US Headquarter Markers in the Park. Consists of cast iron cannon tube, 4.5-inch rifled siege gun, mounted on a granite base. Erected by the Gettysburg National Parks Commission. Designed by Emmor B. Cope of the War Department. Rough-hewn, coursed, 3 part base, 3’2″sq, 2’7″H. Cannon tube mounted upright on base. Overall 10’6″H. Bronze inscription tablet & location tablet on West side facing public roads and park avenues.

Inscription:

Army of the Potomac
12th. Corps Headquarters
Major General
Henry W. Slocum
July 1, 2, 3, 4. 1863

Were located on Powers Hill
280 yards westerly

Advertisements