The headquarters marker for Major General Henry Hunt, chief of artillery for the Army of the Potomac.
Dedicated: June 1913.
Location: Marks the location of Hunt’s US Artillery Headquarters during Battle of Gettysburg, July 1-3, 1863. Located on west side of Taneytown Road near Hunt Avenue.
Description: One of ten Civil War US Headquarter Markers in the Park. Bronze cannon mounted on a granite base. Erected by the Gettysburg National Parks Commission. Designed by Emmor B. Cope of the War Department. Rough-hewn, coursed, 3 part base, 3’2″sq, 2’7″H. Cannon tube mounted upright on base. Overall 10’6″H. Bronze inscription tablet & location tablet on West face.
Henry J. Hunt
Chief of Artillery
Army of the Potomac