The Eternal Peace Light Monument.
Dedicated: July 3, 1938.
Location: Located on the North Side of the Mummasburg Road on Oak Hill.
Description: This granite and Alabama limestone monument had its genesis during the 50th Anniversary Reunion at Gettysburg (1913) when Civil War veterans pledged to erect a monument to peace and reunification on the battlefield by the time of the 75th Anniversary in 1938. A tall square shaft rising from the center of a stone platform is topped by a bronze urn for an eternal flame. On the south face of the shaft is a relief symbolizing peace and good will as it now exists between the north and south of the nation. It features two embracing female figures holding a wreath while an eagle stands at their feet. The memorial was designed by architect Paul Philippe Cret and the relief on the front was created by Lee Oskar Lawrie. The cost of the memorial was $50,000 which was raised through contributions by Civil War veterans from Pennsylvania, Virginia, Wisconsin, Illinois, Tennessee, New York, and Indiana. The memorial was dedicated by Franklin Roosevelt during the Civil War veterans 75th anniversary reunion of the blue and gray on July 3, 1938. During the ceremony, a Union veteran and a Confederate veteran ignited the gas-fed eternal flame at the top of the shaft. The flame was extinguished during the energy crisis of the early 1970s, but was re-lit briefly during the bicentennial. In 1978, the flame was replaced with a sodium vapor light. In 2009, this monument was vandalized with spray paint. The monument consists of Alabama limestone. The main shaft stands 40′ in height and is the main feature on the first-day battlefield. The dark colored stone base is constructed of Maine granite and the lighter colored shaft of Alabama Rockwood Limestone.