Union Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick commanded the Sixth Corps in the Army of the Potomac. Sedgwick is honored by an equestrian monument.
Dedicated: June 19, 1913.
Location: Located on the east side of Sedgwick Avenue north of the Wheatfield Road. It is installed near the location of Sedgwick’s headquarters during the battle.
Description: An equestrian portrait of General Sedgwick and his mount, Handsome Joe, soon after their arrival on the battlefield during the afternoon of July 2, 1863. The general is shown looking over the battlefield toward the Wheatfield and Sherfy Peach yard. The general wears his hat and carries his sword on his left side. The sculpture is mounted on a rectangular base adorned with bronze plaques. This sculpture of John Sedgwick, commander of the Union VI Corps, is one of six bronze equestrian statues in Gettysburg. The Sedgwick monument committee was begun in May 1907 with a $25,000 state appropriation for the placement of a monument to “Uncle John” Sedgwick. The artist’s model for the monument was approved in Nov. 1910. The horse is modeled after one of the general’s war mounts, Handsome Joe. The pedestal is inscribed with “Sedgwick” and a state seal on the west face. Overall height is twenty-one foot.