Union Maj. Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock commanded the Second Corps in the Army of the Potomac. Hancock is honored by an equestrian monument, a monument on the Pennsylvania Monument, a wounding monument, and the Armistead – Hancock marker at the Spangler Farm.
Dedicated: June 5, 1896.
Location: East Cemetery Hill. The sculpture is located where General Hancock rallied the retreating Union forces on the evening of July 1, 1863. Captain Henry Bingham of Hancock’s staff gave the oration at the dedication.
Description: An equestrian portrait of General Winfield Scott Hancock with his proper left hand holding the horse’s reins and his proper right hand extended at his side. The sculpture rests atop a rectangular base adorned with rectangular inscription plaques. In 1902, the monument was stuck by lightning; the pedestal damaged. It was repaired by the Van Amringe Granite Company.