Lieut. Col. Henry C. Merwin served as the commander of the 27th Connecticut Infantry. The spot where he fell is marked with a monument.
Location: The Wheatfield; located on the Wheatfield Road.
Description: Gravestone-sized granite monolith marker with an inscription cut into the north face. Overall height is 18 inches. Inscription is cut into the north side. Marker was originally erected to mark the spot where Merwin fell; that spot is now occupied by regimental monument in the middle of the Wheatfield. One of the earliest monuments erected in the park, dating to 1880. It was moved in 1897 and again in 1987.