Confederate Brig. Gen. Lewis A. Armistead commanded a brigade in Pickett’s Division of Longstreet’s Corps and is honored by a monument locating the place where he fell. Armistead is also honored by a monument at the Spangler Farm.
This marker was first proposed on May 5, 1887 and approved on July 12, 1887. Dedicated in 1888.
Location: Located in the Angle area, West of Cushing’s Battery.
Description: The monument was initially refused by the GBMA because it violated the “Line of Battle Rule.” However, numerous markers to fallen Union commanders had already been placed without regard for the battle line rule; this fact won on appeal and the Armistead marker was erected within the Angle. Marker is a granite shaft designed to simulate an opening scroll with an incised inscription on the face and set on a two foot square smooth cut base. Overall height is 4.6 feet.