Union Brig. Gen. John Buford commanded the First Division of the Cavalry Corps in the Army of the Potomac.
Dedicated: July 1, 1895.
Location: Located on the McPherson farm on the north side of the Chambersburg Pike (US 30).
Description: A standing portrait of General Buford looking out to the west as he did in 1863 when three thousand cavalrymen of his division prepared to meet the advance of Robert E. Lee’s army. He holds a pair of binoculars in his raised proper right hand. The monument was funded by Jerome B. Wheeler. The Buford Memorial Association was formed in 1888 and during design discussions, John Calef, who had commanded a horse artillery battery under General Buford, suggested that the design incorporate four ordnance rifles that were in the battery. One of the ordnance rifles was number 233, the rifle that fired the first Union artillery shot of the battle under Buford’s direction. The Army Chief of Ordnance located the rifle tubes and donated them to the monument committee. At the dedication ceremony, Major Calef symbolically spiked the four rifle tubes. Overall height is 15.6 foot.