The 5th Wisconsin Infantry served as members of Russell’s Brigade in Wright’s Division of the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated June 30, 1888.
Location: Located on the north side of Howe Avenue. It indicates the position where the 5th Wisconsin Volunteers were held in reserve to counter a possible Confederate flank maneuver on July 3, 1863.
Description: Monument consists of two-tiered rough-hewn base, polished and rough-hewn shaft and a finial of the Corps insignia of the Greek cross. Monument is a granite shaft topped with the Sixth Corps Greek Cross and set on a 6×4.6 foot rough hewn double base. The shaft has polished panels with inscriptions. Overall height is 14.2 feet. Flanking markers are 1.6×1.2 foot with flat tops that contain raised polished letters.