The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry served as members of Meredith’s Iron Brigade in Wadsworth’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and two position stones.
Dedicated June 30, 1888.
Location: Meredith & Stone Avenue in Reynolds Woods. It marks the general location where the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry jumped off for its counter-charge against Archer’s Confederates on the morning of July 1, 1863 shortly after reaching McPherson Ridge July 1, 1863.
Description: The five-pointed insignia of the Iron Brigade stands atop a two-course pedestal and tiered, rough-hewn base. The granite monument is a smooth shaft with inscriptions and topped with the Iron Brigade insignia set on a rough hewn 6×4.6 foot base. Overall height is thirteen foot. Flanking markers are flat topped and 1.2×2 foot.