The 7th West Virginia Infantry served as members of Carroll’s Brigade in Hays’ Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and three position stones.
Dedicated Sept. 28, 1898.
Location: Baltimore Street, East Cemetery Hill. Erected by the State of West Virginia, this monument marks the point to which the 7th West Virginia Infantry was ordered by General Hancock on the evening of July 2, 1863. It was there where they met the Infantry of Hay’s Louisiana Brigade who had captured Wiedrich’s Battery. The 7th West Virginia forced Hays’ Brigade to fall back beyond the crest of the hill.
Description: Full-length figure of a uniformed Union soldier stands atop a tall tiered base. The figure wears a long caped coat, cap and mustache. He holds his rifle in front of him, with both hands around the barrel, the butt by his proper left foot.