The 1st West Virginia Cavalry served as members of Farnsworth’s Brigade in Kilpatrick’s Division of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Installed Aug. 31-Sept. 1, 1898. Dedicated Sept. 28, 1898.
Location: Located on the east side of Taneytown Road north of the Hummelbaugh farm. It was erected by the State of West Virginia and indicates the approximate position held by the 1st West Virginia Cavalry after arriving on the field on the morning of July 3, 1863, before advancing to the left to participate in the action against Robertson’s Texans later that afternoon.
Description: Monument is a two-part, stepped granite shaft with a rough cut gable cap and set on a 5×3 foot rough cut stone base. The lower part of the shaft is rough cut with incised finished surface and excised crossed swords. The upper part of the shaft is rough cut with finished and polished stone with incised inscriptions. Overall height is 8.4 feet. Monument includes commemorative era stone wall.