The Vermont Brigade – 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th Regiments – served as members of Grant’s Brigade in Howe’s Division of the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiments are collectively honored by a monument.
Dedicated Oct. 9, 1889.
Location: Marks position of 1st Vermont Brigade on July 2, 1863. Although never engaged actively, the 1st Vermont Brigade was exposed to solid shot and shell during the Gettysburg campaign. Located on the north side of Wright Avenue near the Plank Farm.
Description: Monument consists on a full-maned lion on a rectangular base. The lion appears to be rising from slumber, as he pushes himself up by his front paws. His mouth is open, as though in mid-roar. The Corps insignia of a cross is in low relief on the front of the base. Monument is a polished and hammered granite shaft with a sculptured representation of a lion on the top and set on a 7.4×3.10 foot rough hewn base. Overall height is 8 feet. Designed by C. W. Reed of the 9th Massachusetts Battery.