The 13th Vermont Infantry served as members of Stannard’s Brigade in Doubleday’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and three position markers.
Dedicated Oct. 19, 1899.
Location: Monument is located on the east side of Hancock Avenue. The memorial is installed in the position held by the 13th Vermont Infantry from the evening of July 2, 1863 until the close of the battle.
Description: A standing portrait of Lieutenant Stephen F. Brown with his proper left hand on his sword. On the ground by his proper right foot is the hatchet that he used in battle until he could appropriate a sword from a Confederate soldier. The sculpture rests atop a square granite base adorned with bronze inscription plaques. The shaft has an excised inscription, bronze tablets, and a medallion. Overall height is 16.4 feet. Designed by J. H. Walling. Lieutenant Stephen F. Brown was an officer in Company K. Brown was arrested on the march to Gettysburg for allowing his men to stop and fill his canteens. Restored to command on the battlefield, Brown’s sword had been sent to the rear. So Brown seized upon a hatchet instead. Brown is depicted holding a captured Confederate officer’s sword, the hatchet at his feet.