The 6th United States Infantry Regiment served as members of Day’s Brigade in Ayres’ Division of the Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: East side of Ayres Avenue.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SECOND DIVISION FIRST BRIGADE
SIXTH U. S. INFANTRY
Captain Levi C. Bootes Commanding
July 2. Arrived in the morning and took position near the line of the Twelfth Corps. The Regiment with the Brigade moved from the right to the left of the line and at 5 P. M. advanced across Plum Run near Little Round Top and supported the Second Brigade in its advance to the crest of the rocky wooded hill beyond and facing to the left engaged the Confederates but retired under a deadly fire on both flanks and from the rear after the Confederates got possession of the Wheatfield in the rear of the Brigade and took position on Little Round Top.
July 3. Remained in same position.
July 4. The Regiment with the Brigade made a reconnaissance and developed a force of the Confederate infantry and artillery in front.
Casualties Killed 4 Men Wounded 1 Officer and 39 Men