The 5th United States Cavalry served as members of Merritt’s Brigade in Buford’s Division of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by monument.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: Located west of Ridge Road on old Merritt Avenue. South Cavalry Field, unimproved “avenue” west of Ridge Road.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze.
Monument is inscribed:
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
RESERVE BRIGADE FIRST DIVISION
FIFTH U. S. CAVALRY
Captain Julius W. Mason Commanding
Detachment at Headquarters Army of the Potomac
July 3. Moved with the Brigade at 12 M. under Brig. General W. Merritt from Emmitsburg and attacked the Confederate right and rear and was engaged for four hours until the action was brought to a close by a heavy rain.
Casualties Wounded 4 Men Missing 1 Man