The 5th United States Artillery – Battery K served as members of Muhlenberg’s Brigade in the Twelfth Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by two monuments at Gettysburg.
Erected between 1907 and 1908.
Location: Summit of Culp’s Hill. Locates position occupied by Kinzie’s Battery K, 5th U.S. Artillery, during Battle of Gettysburg, July 2-3, 1863.
Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription reads:
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
BATTERY K FIFTH U. S. ARTILLERY
Four 12 Pounders
Lieut. David H. Kinzie Commanding
July 1. Marched to within a mile and half of Gettysburg.
July 2. At daylight took position to command a gap between the First and Twelfth Corps. At 5 P. M. one section was placed on the summit of Culp’s Hill and assisted in silencing Confederate batteries on Benner’s Hill. At 6 P. M. rejoined the Battery at the foot of Powers’ Hill.
July 3. At 1 A. M. posted with Battery F 4th U. S. Artillery on the south side of Baltimore Pike opposite the centre of the line of the Twelfth Corps. At 4.30 A. M. opened fire on the Confederates in possession of the line vacated by the Twelfth Corps the preceding night. Firing continued at intervals until after 10 A. M. when the Confederates were driven out. Remained in the same position exposed to the severe shelling which came over Cemetery Hill in the afternoon.
Casualties Wounded 5 Men